Out-of-state? Free MRI review4.9 ★ · 619 Google reviewsBoard-certified spine surgeonSame-day spine surgeryCall (424) 217-7463
Out-of-state? Free MRI review + telehealth consult before you travel 4.9 ★ · 619 Google reviews Board-certified — American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery Minimally invasive, same-day spine surgery in Beverly Hills Call (424) 217-7463

Video · The Doctors segment

The Doctors – When To Get A Second Opinion

Watch the video

The Doctors: When to Get a Second Opinion · Dr. Hooman Melamed on YouTube

Published on YouTube Length 1:36

About this video

A host shares that she chose elective surgery after more than two years of conservative treatment and asks Dr. Melamed how people know when it's time. He says progressive numbness or weakness means the nerve is being damaged and you don't want to wait too long, and that the imaging has to match the symptoms. He adds that a good surgeon keeps surgery as the last resort. The segment also advises caution if you're being rushed into surgery when things are stable, and suggests getting a second opinion if you aren't sure.

Medically reviewed byDr. Hooman Melamed, MD, FAAOS

Transcript

From the video's captions, edited for punctuation, capitalization and paragraph breaks. Filler sounds such as "um" are left out, and clearly misheard names and medical terms are corrected. Words that could not be made out are marked [inaudible].

Read the full transcript

So I shared my personal story with all of you today, not only because so many of you have shared your stories with us, with me here on the stage, but also because it’s important to highlight the process of knowing when it’s time to have surgery. In this case, for me, it was an elective surgery, and I’d gone through every possible conservative treatment. After two plus years, I decided that it was right for me, in consultation with you. But I’m gonna let you give a doctor’s prescription, because a lot of people don’t know when’s the right time.

In my field, spine surgery, if you have progressive numbness and or weakness, that means the nerve is undergoing damage. You don’t want to wait a long, too long on it. You want to make sure the imaging matches the symptoms, because a lot of times the patient has issues, but I see and I’m like, no, your imaging is not matching your symptom. Your symptoms are not coming from the spine. So that is very important. You know, you want to make sure all the ducks are lined up. And you know, as a surgeon, I mean, if you’re a good surgeon, you keep surgery as the last resort.

Yes.

Sometimes the best surgeons have the lowest rate of surgery because they’re willing to try other things first.

I would just say be cautious if you’re not having progressive weakness, numbness.

Yes.

Things are stable, if, okay, next week we’re gonna rush you into surgery. There are a lot of other options out there. If you’re not sure if it’s right for you, getting a second opinion. And also just make sure you find the right doctor. Not always are they gonna open up the book or the chapter where they wrote a complete chapter on the surgery you’re having done, which, for the record…

Yeah, pretty cool to see.

Thank you.

But I just wanna say thank you.

Thank you.

Thank you.

Browse all videos in the Video Hub

Second opinions welcome

Not sure if surgery is the answer? Neither are we — until we've seen your MRI.

Send your imaging for a personal review with Dr. Melamed. Many patients learn a smaller, muscle-sparing option is on the table.