Procedure – Biportal Endoscopic Spine Surgery vs. Traditional Fusion
Imagine being told that you need spine surgery. What's the first thing that comes to mind? Many people might feel apprehension to have such surgery done or fear a negative outcome. A viable alternative to traditional open back surgery is available through an ultra-minimally invasive technique called Biportal Endoscopic Spinal Surgery or BESS for short.
Top US Spine Surgeon, Dr. Hooman Meland, has pioneered and perfected the BESS approach in the United States. Dr. Melamed believes BESS offers many advantages over single-portal operations performed by the majority of minimally invasive surgeons and can treat a wider range of conditions, helping patients avoid spinal fusions.
The advantages of Biportal Endoscopic Spine Surgery include:
- Boasts excellent magnification
- More flexibility
- Far better access to the working site
- More pathologies may be treated
- Preserves stability
- Very low complication rates
- Decreased potential for long-term instability
- Continuous irrigation where infection rate becomes so very minimum